Old August 15th 13, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default "Choosing Lights for Your Bicycle: Ten No-Compromise Requirements"article

On 15/08/13 16:25, Phil W Lee wrote:
sms considered Wed, 14 Aug 2013 18:55:39
-0700 the perfect time to write:

On 8/14/2013 6:10 PM, James wrote:
On 15/08/13 10:06, Nate Nagel wrote:

No, the problem is that you continue to push for your beloved yet
inferior, rude, annoying, and dangerous when used with high power
emitters symmetrical beam patterns. I wish you'd knock it the hell off
with the bad advice and poor recommendations, you're doing everyone a
disservice. There's enough people out there who apparently think that
cyclists are annoyances on the road without you actually giving them
good reason to think so.

Any beam shape when improperly aimed can be a nuisance.

A beam shape with more spill is better for off road night riding, seeing
street signs and pedestrians, and being seen by vehicles from a wider angle.

Off-road of course all lights have symmetrical beams, but as you point
out, on-road there are significant advantages as well.

Why is it then that these significant advantages have not been noticed
by the manufacturers of every single motor vehicle manufacturer in the
world?

Motor vehicle manufacturers design for driving off road?

Have you noticed the spotlights many people add to their cars for
highway and off road use?

http://www.xenonoz.com/spotlights.php
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/vi...939&view=print

Do you think that's just for looks and they find the vehicle
manufacturers lights sufficient?

Some of it might be bragging rights, but I can assure you there are
legitimate reasons. E.g., last weekend driving home from Euroa we had a
roo cross the road just ahead. I saw it coming and slowed the vehicle
enough even with the loaded trailer pushing to avoid bumping the roo
off. Further a sambar deer stepped out in front of us. That was
another close one. Others are not so lucky judging by the roadkill.

Last night I took note of the low beam spill to the sides in particular
from passing cars. It's quite significant off to the sides at probably
60 degrees from straight ahead. Far more light than from a "properly
focused" bicycle light. Good for seeing "stuff" on the edge of the
road, and for being seen.

Now, I'm not saying Scharfie is all good to go with his MR16s and such,
particularly if they're not aimed down a bit, but there is an argument
for more light to illuminate to the sides and up into the air a bit.
Actual users tend to agree.

Remember, I've tried focused purpose built bicycle lights as well.

--
JS