Old September 23rd 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
OccasionalFlyer

Default Vuelta vs. the Tour

I keep seeing that the TdF is treated as the best stage race each year. There is no way that the TdF requires as much as the Vuelta a Espana. I remember hearing Phil Liggett commenting on how hard a TdF stage would be because it would have a climb with a 10% gradient. i agree that 10% is challenging, at least it was for me. However, 10% is insignificant compared to several climbs in the Vuelta a Espana this year. So why isn't the hardest stage race more noteworthy?