Old June 25th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default My groin hurts!

In article
gareth price wrote:
I've started back after a long break from cycling and am now going into work
on the bike but boy does my groin hurt

I doubt it. More iikely some part of your crotch.

I've got a lightweight saddle(Selle
italia) and wear cycling shorts(carrati) as well I'm think of swopping the
saddle over for something a bit more comfortable but still reasonably
lightweight

I recently got a WTB Pure V that seems pretty good for me, although I've
not put any serious miles on it yet.

and getting some new high quality short

Caratti always used to be reasonable quality.

and I'd like some recommendations...

Your problem could be caused by incorrect position on the bike or
incorrect angle of the saddle. It's not easy to diagnose without
measurements or watching you ride, but a few rules of thumb a

the top of the saddle should be pretty much horizontal - if you need to
tip the front down then you're sitting too high, if up then you're
sitting too low

stick the bike in bottom gear and pedal as fast as you can - if you're
rocking to reach the pedals you're too high, if you're bouncing you're
too low

for initial fore-aft position just slide the saddle as far back as it
will go - the middle of your knee whould not be further forward than the
pedal spindle at the three o'clock position viewed from the chainset
side

you should be sitting far enough back on the seat that most of your
weight is taken by the boney bumps at either side of the bottom of your
pelvis - if it's this bit that's painful it will improve as the muscles
here tone up

the bars shouldn't be higher than the seat (unless you're a downhiller
or have restricted movement in your spine)

Saddles are a very personal thing and what suits one person may not suit
another, but it's important to note that softer and wider is not
necessarily more comfortable. One of my favourite saddles is an old
Cinelli Unicanitor which has no padding, just leather over hard plastic
- it's comfortable because it supports me in just the right places, and
coupled with decent shorts I can hapily ride on it all day. I've tried
some modern high-tech seats with cutouts and gel and elastomer mounts
and stuff that just don't come anywhere near it for comfort.