Old August 16th 12, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

Default Why do some cyclists overtake on the left?

On Aug 16, 2:14*pm, "John Benn" wrote:
The Highway Code 163 says:

++ Only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn
right, and there is room to do so

Does it really? Does that tome specify what constitutes
"signalling". AIUI, advised by local traffic cop, position on the
road is sufficient to indicate intentions, at least for him.
IIRC it is aknowledged by govt documents that even the position
within a lane may give sufficient indication of intention. My
recognition of this has saved me many a collision with taxis. It's
generally easy to spot on a motorway, drivers move to the edge of the
lane to get a good look in their mirrors before moving out.
Unfortunately they sometimes forget to see that the lane is clear for
an appropriate distance, they just do not see and move out without
using trafficator or hand signal, because there was, in their mind, no-
one there.
Oh, by the way, that traffic cop had been following me without lights
at night, so I didn't see him. There was no need for me to make a
specific signal and he knew it because he was acting illegally. He
did not appreciate me crossing the hazard line, but seeing as there
was no other observable road users his opinion was nonsense, no legal
user of the road suffered any inconvenience.

++ Stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on
your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

First rule of the road, keep left when in the vicinity of other road
users unless conditions or intention dictate otherwise.

If a road user is not keeping left, he should be turning right, is
intending to overtake or some other nonsense.

If you can legally pass on the right, why not do that instead of overtaking
on the left of vehicles? *Am I missing something?

I think you probably are. You keep asking these questions time and
time again and I don't know why, if you are an active vehicular road-
user, that you do not see these situations where conditions dictate
that one can only pass on the left.