Old September 19th 05, 11:50 PM
MartinM

Default another charity cyclist dies

elyob wrote:
"Sam Salt" wrote in message
MartinM wrote:
from the Metro;

"a 37 year old father of one police officer collapsed and died whilst
taking part in a 100 mile bike ride in North Devon. The rider was half
way through the event when he collapsed whilst riding up a steep hill.
The remaining 55 policemen on the ride decided to continue".

and on the same day 4 participants in the Great North Run also died.

whilst there are always lessons to be learned from these events it is
still a great tragedy for all the families concerned.

Yes I was running the Great North Run and there did appear to be rather a
lot of people needing attention at the side of the road.

It was a hot day as well which didn't help.

Four people died on the Great North ...

However I'm a little surprised at the OP's comment "lessons to be learned
from these events". What lessons can be learnt from this? Every policeman I
know is in good condition, and I'm presuming that this guy was just from his
age. He also had 55 qualified first aiders with him. I cannot take any
lessons from this.

I was absolutely not passing any comments about the individual event;
it was as we all agree a very sad occurnce; in fact the Metro carried a
headline about the Great North fatalities which was along the lines of
the "health risks" in doing this sort of thing which I do not subscribe
to either.