Old August 1st 17, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Preserving polished aluminum

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 07:18:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 7:30:29 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

But I do believe that the "modern" (would one say?) type of articles
reflect the interests of the readers. How many people would leave the
comfort of the air conditioned Television Room and the 60 inch TV to
actually get their hands dirty building a midget racer.... or an arc
welder? (Or even know what an arc welder is?)

But the thought comes to mind, are Modern Americans actually intent on
discovering whether one should "pee on the lawn", or not? Sufficiently
so that a national magazine would publish an article concerning what
dirty little boys used to do, with no lessons whatsoever?

When I show up with a battered old frame and end up with a showpiece the Mexicans get it and the Americans ask, "Where did you ever find a bike in that condition?"

I have found "old steel bikes" at second hand bike dealers that might
have odds and ends of shifters and derailers but a perfect frame which
I could rebuild. The last one, which Andrew reckoned was an old
Japanese made bike, had when stripped, a frame and fork that weighed
almost exactly what my "custom made" Columbus "SL" tube frame weighed.

At the big monthly "bicycle swap meet" I see Eddy Merckx bikes old
enough to have the rear brake cable clips on the top of the top tube,
tubular tires and all the goodies but unfortunately the sellers know
exactly what they have got :-(
--
Cheers,

John B.