Old May 15th 04, 10:35 PM
Simon Brooke

Default Free Bikes Instead of School Bus (long)

in message ,
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers ') wrote:

When I was six, I was accompanied on my walk to school at least
sometimes. I know this because I can remember asking my mother a
question on one occasion. But I can equally clearly remember that I
was not met at the end of the school day - I was expected to walk home
by myself. Mind you, that was only about a mile.

Yup - I walked to & from school unaccompanied from a fairly young age.
Life isn't like that these days. Whether that's a good thing is
entirely a different matter.

Yebbut - both the road danger and the 'stranger danger' were,
statistically, considerably worse forty years ago. By which I mean,
more kids got killed then than do now.

So the difference is that parents are more paranoid and children are
more mollycoddled, and neither of these things is good.

Viva Nottingham, I say. I think they're taking a courageous and positive
position which will be very good for public health, for the
independence and self-confidence of their children, for the urban
environment and for the atmosphere.

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.