Old November 15th 19, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Basso Loto [OT]

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 08:05:38 +0700, John B. wrote:

As for your idea that it was because we were used to it, I think that
you are wrong. We lived about a mile outside the built up area of the
town and I walked to school and coming from the "country" with two
houses in a half a mile to a built up area with a house every 50 yards
I can't remember notice any bad smells.

I think that you are exaggerating.

Naah, differnet noses. I'm crash hot on locating operating bakeries. some
people can not even detect the biscuit factory when they are outside the
door.

No, that has been proven. People who were outdoors a lot in the 60's and
70's thought they were living in a clean environment. One generally only
notices how bad it is when being transported from A to B quickly and in
a contained environment such as an aircraft cabin or very fast train. I
had that reset happen after working in Scotland and on a North Sea oil
rig. Super clean air. When I flew back and stepped out of the aircraft
at the Cologne/Bonn airport in Germany I thought I'd stepped into a
stinky mess and that wasn't even during heavy traffic. I grew up there
and had never noticed until then.

Again I suggest that you exaggerate. I mentioned walking to school from
an environment of two houses in a half a mile to houses side by side and
never noticing anything, and you say that it was because the change was
made slowly. But yet, walking by the city block size Woolen Mills
further into town the smell was very noticeable as you walked past.

This is also a reason why people who never smoked get lung cancer. It
just happened to a friend of ours. She lived and jogged in Los Angeles
in the 70's.

Again I believe that you exaggerate, or at least medical science says
that you do.

The Mayo Clinic, for example, says that "... lung cancer also occurs in
people who never smoked and in those who never had prolonged exposure to
secondhand smoke. In these cases, there may be no clear cause of lung
cancer."

You've just added the random disease factor, which doesn't disprove his
argument. Do you have a source of attributed causes of lung cancer? Of
course, that is only as valid as the rigourness of the data collectors.