Old March 17th 05, 11:10 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article ,
Rangersfan wrote:
"jj" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:19:24 GMT, TomP wrote:

Decide the maximum you want to spend. Then take 20% from that figure.
With the 80% figure, go to the L.B.S. and have them show you what they
have
in YOUR price range. Then buy the bike that speaks to you and fits you
well. Just about anything you buy these days for a grand or more will be
more than adequate for your needs.

I'm curious as to where you get this 20% subtraction?

I would agree that it's important to ride a number of bikes and buy the
one
that 'speaks to you', or makes you smile when you ride it. However it is
difficult to tell just riding around in the LBS parking lot. Ride a number
of different bikes. Don't be too hasty to buy. Look up the bike in the
roadbikereviews.com page and the epinions.com page and check for obvious
problems.

That's my basic strategy right now. I'm not getting in a hurry. I'm just
trying to educate myself so I can make an educated decision when the time
comes. Right now the questions I'm researching a

How much of a difference the different frame materials really have on ride
quality.

_ Religious issue and almost impossible to compare in real life,
since mostly what you feel is dependent on the tire size and how
they are inflated. They are different, but that doesn't neccesary
mean one is better.

Which aspects of frame geometry are best suited for my situation.

_ Effective Top Tube length.... If you're 5'7" and have a
relatively long torso, then compact geometry could work for
you. A longer wheelbase and slacker angles make for a more
comfortable ride as well, but if the bike doesn't feel "twitchy"
to you on a test ride I wouldn't stress over it much.

Which components would really make a difference in my riding experience.
How does Campy Voloce stack up against Shimano Ultegra and should I even
care at my level.

_ I think the only real difference is in the brifters or the
brake shifter units. In terms of snoot level Ultegra is probably
a bit higher, but Veloce is plenty good enough. Pick the one that
you feel most comfortable shifting. There is one mechanical
difference in that Veloce brifters can be repaired were as
Ultegra's can only be replaced.

I'm not looking to buy a bike I might outgrow in a short period of time. I
don't want to spend $1K on a bike that might suit my needs today, but be a
real disappointment when I'm going out on some long club rides in the
future.

_ I would also take a close look at Lemond's Big Sky
bikes.

_ Booker C. Bense