Old July 29th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default (Wheels and) tires are to bicycles what speakers are to hi-fi

On Jul 29, 12:46*pm, Cam in Toronto wrote:
On Jul 29, 3:34*pm, Chalo wrote:

Dan O wrote:

Because these [Vittoria Randonneur Pro 700x32] are spendy tires
and I don't want to wreck them, I stopped pumping at the sidewall
recommended max 75 psi - even though I used to pump my 700x28
Randonneurs *well* past the recommended 80 psi (I think it was),
and kept the 700x37 Contacts 5-10 psi above the recommended
max 85.

You might have found the stock Contis more charismatic if you
underinflated them like you're doing with the Vittorias.

Chalo

I'm trying to remember something I read here before regarding comfort
and efficiency on a bike. It was Fit, Fat, Fitness and ?????
I'm sure there are lots of reasons to switch 28s for 32s or the other
way around, change brands &c but if you want to make a big improvement
on your cycling by changing something I doubt tires are the easiest
way to do it. Me? I could drop 20 pounds.

And what kind of loudspeakers (and phono pickup) (would) do you
use? ;-)