Old July 30th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default (Wheels and) tires are to bicycles what speakers are to hi-fi

On Jul 29, 3:30*pm, "
wrote:
Nonsense. *With audio, the speakers are the only important part. *With
bikes, tires are pretty much interchangeable. *Any 23-25-28mm tire
from any of the manufacturers will ride just about the same. *You
could not pick them out reliably in a blind test. *Any 38-35-32 tire
from any of the manufacturers will ride the same. *Assuming similar
inflation levels and tread pattern. *80-120 psi compared to 80-120
psi. *Smoothish compared to smootish. *Not smoothish compared to
knobbies.

Bull****. Casing matters. I for one, can't stand the ride of the
Contis with the gumwalls, like the Contact and the Countryride. I even
tried a used pair of Speed Kings last week for the hell of it, and
they rode like cheap nasty tires. Granted, they're cross tires, but
still. Conti does make mtb tires with pretty nice supple casings,
though.

I replaced the Speed Kings with the spare IRC Tandems in the garage
and the ride was much sweeter due to the finer casing.

The Paselas on the other bike replace stock Kendas that weighed nearly
a pound more each at the same width and also with gummy sidewalls
instead of a quality casing. Night and day.

I don't currently ride super skinnies, but the ride difference between
23mm Vredestein Fortezzas and cheaper low thread count skinnies is
really palpable.