Old September 11th 17, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Road Discs

On 2017-09-09 15:28, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

My concern with getting rim brakes is not really even a
performance
issue because in dry weather, I've never had a problem
with rim
brakes -- but to listen to the guys at the local shop, rim
brakes are
going the way of the dodo. I'm worried about buying an
antique!

Nah. Rim brake pads will be available for decades. At least
until you and I are in a nursing home.

However, dry weather is not always that dry. Consider a big
rain storm of which you have many up there. Then the sun
comes out and you think that this ought to be the perfect
time to ride. Still nice and cool but no rain. At 20mph you
go through a long puddle, no big deal. Then right afterwards
grandpa Miller doesn't see you and pulls out of the gas
station right in front of you. You hit the brakes ... two
seconds of ... nothing.

I even had brake delay when I rode through overspray from
landscaping sprinklers next to the road. On a 100F day that
is a refreshing event. Until you need the brakes right there.

Joerg, all the current Campagnolo Ergo shifters are hydraulic brake and
also cable compatible.
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...ted-disc-brake

Ah, finally, progress! Thanks, I didn't know that. However, doesn't
Campagnolo stuff have price levels like Gucci apparel?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/