Old October 25th 16, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Vitus 979: Removing Cranks and Bottom Bracket?

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 2:51:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The cranks have "Shimano 600" printed on them.

-- Will a universal crank puller like the ones sold for a few dollars on eBay work? Or do I need a Shimano crank puller like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-BC020...AOSwAuZX1vx s ? Or do I need something else?

-- The Vitus has a cup and cone crank. Can I put new bearings in? If so what are the important specs on the bearing to search for them on eBay? Or how does one proceed with a rebuild of the bottom bracket?

Thank you for any help. I bought this bike in 1987 brand new. I have not ridden this too much in the last ten years but am now enjoying it regularly again. It's a little creaky at the bottom bracket, and I would at least like to inspect down there, if it's at all possible.

You also need BB tools -- lock ring spanner, pin tool and, maybe, fixed cup remover. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2724161...3&rmv SB=true Not these, but something like them to get into the BB.

You would be better off having it serviced or removed by a local shop. Skip buying tools for a dead technology (the fixed cup may be tough to remove with a cheap BB wrench in any event). Get a cartridge bearing and the inexpensive tool to go with it. Incroyable, a NOS UN71 for $100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2721921...&ul_noapp=true Screw that! Something like this would do: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-bb-u...ritish-thread/ Its symetrical, though, and may not look as swanky as the original. Tange makes a suitable replacement, too.

Or enter the modern era. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQwMFgxNjAw/z/3OEAAOSwNyFWgNqN/$_35.JPG

-- Jay Beattie