Old June 11th 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-07 17:02, sms wrote:
On 6/6/2018 7:35 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental
toothbrushes. My wive found a brand at Costco that is
more rigid than the usual ones so the job goes faster
now. First used for my teeth, then later some day for a
chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular
toothbrush, followed by a good wipe-down with Kleenex.
Once the chain is really shiny I apply White Lightning
Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the waxy stuff
in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I
use a Q-Tip to dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe
off any excess with a Kleenex.

That way a road bike chain can run 150-250mi between
cleanings depending on whether I ride more roads or
more bike paths. Gets dirtier on roads. 40-50mi on the
MTB, mostly on dirt trails. The upside is that this
method does not require me to take the chain off the
bike which I would really dread.

OMG, is anyone really spending that much time on chain
maintenance?!

Get yourself a Park chain cleaner (or some other brand).
Fill it with kerosene and run the chain through it.
Repeat with clean solvent until the chain runs clean.

Unless the chain is in the solvent, and moving, you won't
get it clean on the inside.

When it's clean, lubricate it with a foaming chain lube.

So how long does that process take? And I mean with
clean-up including the cleaning of the tools used. For most
of those of us who are married clean-up is necessary, we
can just leave the stuff sitting on some bench.

The bike is already on the stand for washing.

Last time I washed my road bike was ... ahm ...
nineteen-sumpthin. The MTB doesn't get washed either, it just
wouldn't make sense.

The problems you have with equipment failure start to make
sense...

The BB would not have failed if I had hit it with the pressure
washer after every ride. Yeah, right.

I believe he uses a garden hose and not a 5000psi pressure washer.
Ever watched the pros clean bikes (road and MTB)? Hose, suds, hose,
etc., etc. Garden hoses are SOP. If your BB seals can't hack that,
you need a different BB.

I have seen high-pend MTB where they did not (!) provide a weep hole
below the BB. Couldn't believe it at first.

... I have a pan in my shed with a bottle of degreaser (not
kerosene but something biodegradable) and the Park chain
cleaner in the pan. Takes a few minutes to fill up the tool
and run the chain through it. The pan catches the slosh. I
don't usually change the degreaser. A couple minutes in the
chain cleaner works well enough for me. Hose out everything
and let it dry while the bike is drying. Certainly takes
less time than what you describe with the toothbrushes.

Well, yeah, if you just put the bath, the pan and so on back on
the shelf as is. Not gonna happen here.

You missed the part about hose everything down and let it dry
with the bike. Cleanup doesn't take any time.

Hose down the bath container? That would get you into trouble with
environmental watchdogs some day.

He said it was biodegradable.

I wonder what the Federales would have to say about that.

Just say "I don't wash my bikes" and don't try to make it impossible.
People do it all the time -- even married people and city folk.

I never said that. I just indicated that I find washing an MTB not to be
a very productive task. 10mi later it's dirty again so what is the point
of washing it?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/