Old September 27th 17, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

Default Alfine 11 hub skipping under hard pedaling

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 06:22:31 -0700, dstamat wrote:

Dear All,

The Alfine 11 SG-S700 hub of my commuting bicycle has started to skip
when I pedal standing up. Mostly around the middle of the range (5, 6
and 7). I hear a very loud noise and I have to stop pedaling. It does
not happen when pedaling seated. When in 6 gear the two small yellow
lines are aligned so I guess it is not because of bad adjustment.

I have had this bike for ~5 years but it has only been ridden for ~1000
mi. The oil of the hub has not been changed yet.

Change the oil. Which will be very dirty by now probably as the parts
wear in together leaving some small metallic particles.

Run for a while then change again.

Failing this strip down clean out the inside and re-grease the bearings.

Handy pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/915638...57640605430014

Remove all children or those easily offended from the working area.
Gather up as many swear words in your memory as you can and thoroughly
prepare to use them all in a constant stream of profanity whilst
refitting the circlip (ping****it) that holds the cog on.

As for oil. Shimano oil is holy **** expensive and also unavailable in
Turkey where I am. Any yellow metal safe manual transmission fluid should
do. NOT GL5 as the sulphur content is corrosive to yellow metals, of
which there are quite a few contained in the hub. GL4 should be fine but
may be difficult to find. ATF is not quite viscous enough and caused
skipping on mine.

Good luck.
--
davethedave