Old June 22nd 16, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Today's Ride

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 09:25:49 +0700, John B.
wrote:

What are "scrub pants"? I've seen it used in reference to the clothes
worn by medical personnel but not to gardeners :-)

Scrub suits used to be simple, boilable clothing worn only in the
operating room. Then printed and decorated versions started being
worn in places where clothes didn't need to be sterile. "Scrub suits"
were quite stylish for a year or two shortly after the scrub-looking
suit I made by mistake wore out. (There's a picture of me wearing it
on my Web site; the lace around the neck helped un-scrub it a little.
It made a pretty good background for the lion.) Scrubs quickly went
out of style for general wear, but are now the standard "telling the
employees from the patients" uniform, but fit a lot better, and they
are made of permanent-press fabric totally unsuitable for physical
labor.

Big R has a corner near the entrance that sells medical uniforms.
(There's a bigger selection of working-on-the-road clothing farther
back.) When I first noticed it, the sign said "scrub suits", about
half were frumpy-looking cotton suits, and all pants and shirts were
sold separately. I looked them over for ideas and proceeded to forget
about them for a decade or so.

So I've been frying this spring because I'm completely out of old
plant-fiber pants. While lying in the dentist's chair a few weeks
ago, waiting for them to squeeze me in between patients who had
appointments, I was studying the pockets on one of the assistants, and
realized: Hey! I can go to Big R, buy a pair of cheap cotton pants,
whack them off at mid-calf, and there's my garden pants!

But while I was ignoring that corner, they changed the sign to
"medical uniforms" and stopped stocking cotton. Cotton musses, and
medical uniforms must look neat.

But I'm pretty sure that Wildman Uniforms include real scrub suits.
But I can't go there any time soon, because I'm treating myself like
an eggshell because there is no-one who can to step in and do the
embroidery gig at the Day of Caring if I repeat the Easter incident.
(Got over-tired on Monday, didn't spend the next two days in bed, got
an arthritic hip that's been bothering me off and on since the late
eighties or early nineties diagnosed on Friday.)

I usually ride toward that side of town on Saturday, but this Saturday
I'm teaching embroidery to small children.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net