Old July 17th 16, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Rules that apply everywhere apply on the road

I was walking past a poster of "The Ten Commandments for Children" and
noticed that #8 was "Don't take anything that isn't yours." and #9 was
"Always tell the truth.".

These two commandments seem particularly applicable to cycling: don't
go through an intersection when it isn't your turn, don't ride in
space that belongs to somebody else -- in particular, don't ride in
space reserved for people going the other way.

"Always tell the truth" is more applicable than the usual "don't lie".
It isn't enough to refrain from signalling right when you mean to go
left; you must actively broadcast your intentions to other road users
at all times. Sometimes this can be strenuous, because signals are
often given by moving the whole bike-and-rider assembly to a different
place. Pierceton Road at four o'clock: car behind me, car
approaching, briefly turn head, hold out left hand with palm towards
car behind and fingers spread, shift to middle of lane, left lane
about to clear, glance, shift to right edge of road, car passes,
whoops here's the same situation again. (I came back by Van Ness,
which I had all to myself.)

I'll cut-and-paste the original plan for this post into a new one.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/