Old February 12th 18, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2018-02-11 10:15, sms wrote:
On 2/11/2018 10:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

That is how I used dynamos in the past and would like to do that
again. However, in the US it is hard to find a reasonably priced
complete front wheel with a hub dynamo and I don't want to spoke up my
own. So it'll have to be a bottle dynamo (rollers went the way of the
dinosuars) and then I'd like to try Frank's mode with an O-ring and
run it on the brake surface nstead of the tire.

If we were ever to move to dynamos in the U.S. it would require that
bicycle manufacturers have their dealers offer a dynamo wheel upgrade
and light on new bikes at a reasonable price. Spending $200 on a new
wheel and another $200 on a decent dynamo light is just not going to
happen for almost anyone. Yet the extra cost to a bicycle manufacturer
would be small, $50 max for a higher-end SP or Shimano dynamo plus a 200
lumen headlight and a tail light. The shop could mark it up to $100.

You are right, it's not going to happen in the US. Mostly because the
majority of riders sees their bikes as fitness training devices and
not as transportation for use at any time of the day or night.

If you exclude small kids bikes, it may still be a majority, but not as
large as you think, depending on the area. On weekdays, there is a big
transportational cycling percentage, almost certainly much larger than
recreational riders, and I'm including students riding to school.

Yes, students must be included because that is clearly commuting.
Hwoever, the percentage of kids cycling to our local high school is
practically zero. In part because the two-lane roads going there have no
shoulder and are dangerous for cyclists. I wouldn't encourage kids to
use those.

Down in the valley where they have wider roads, bike lanes and bike path
systems I see a slowly increasing number of high school kids use a bike.
Still, a lot more training riders in fancy jerseys. Most go in evenings
and some as a lunch hour ride. It was the same at the company I used to
work at, numerous lunch hour riders but nobody commuted by bike.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/