Old September 1st 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Alexa says, 'Take the lane'

On 8/31/2017 9:43 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 6:12:12 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
... to put it much more briefly: No technique is perfect. That's true of
every human activity on earth.

But on the road you describe, is it usually better to ride near lane
center? Or is it usually better to hug the gutter as close as you can?

No, I'm a true believer of taking the lane in some places -- although the two of us may differ on when or where.

My point is that like any true believer, there is a certain amount of faith or self-delusion that taking the lane will be safer.

I can't characterize it as "faith or self-delusion." In my case, at
least, it's predicting a likely outcome based on thousands of
observations over many years. Nothing's perfect, but IME it's hundreds
to one that being lane-centered in a narrow lane helps more than it hurts.

It is often the case that the truly punctilious drivers will give you ten feet of clearance even when you're in the gutter or on the shoulder. It's odd. They'll sit behind you 'til the cows come home if you take the lane.

True. In some cases, I do wave them around. I suppose it may incur some
tiny risk of liability on my part, but I hate keeping an eye on those
timid drivers. Also, I feel a bit sorry for them.

And then other drivers will practically run you down when you take the lane. They get enraged and do stupid things to get around you, typically in tight spaces with oncoming traffic.

Yep. Nothing's perfect.

--
- Frank Krygowski