Old June 6th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Carry tandem on hitch mounted bike rack

wrote:
Does anyone know if it is ok to carry a tandem on a hitch mounted bike
rack? Perhaps having both wheels taken off?

Well my tandem is about 8 feet long with the wheels on, which is a lot
wider then my car. At the very least you'll need to remove the wheels.
However, I would really be worried about stability because most
carriers have the support arms close enough to fit through the triangle
of a single bike. With a tandem on there you could get a lot of
unwanted movement. I have a Yakima roof-mount tandem carrier and I've
driven cross-country with it. Aside from the dead bugs on the frame, it
worked well.

Arnie