Old September 3rd 17, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default AG: It bears repeating

On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 00:09:37 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Riding safely is almost all communication.

A very important message that you must radiate continuously is "I know
the rules and plan to follow them. It is safe to act on the
assumption that I won't do anything stupid and unpredictable."

I think I would rephrase that to read "I'm going to do what you expect
me to do", but essentially true. My guess is that the number of
motorists that actually want to run over a bicycle is extremely
limited but the motorists who might hit you when he glanced down to
change the station on the radio and you swerved in front of him is
much larger.

The year long study that the CHP did in L.A. county showed that over
half of the accidents, for which blame could be assigned, were the
fault of the cyclist, many of them riding on the wrong side of the
road. In both New York and California autopsy's of cyclist fatalities
showed that ~25% had blood alcohol levels in excess of the "he's
drunk" level.

--
Cheers,

John B.