Old May 20th 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Craig's List

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 1:49:43 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have had three really good bikes for sale on Craig's list for over two years now and I got a bite on one of them yesterday. It was the Redline cross bike that is in nearly new condition with a flat bar and hydraulic disks..

At the time I built it up hydraulic disk drop bar levers were just coming onto the market and were impossibly expensive.

It has Avid brakes and Deore or better everything else. The drive train is absolutely silent. It has Campy wheels on it and 32 mm knobbies. It is probably the best gravel bike I could think of.

It turned out to be nothing more than a looky-Lou and the bike is back on the ceiling hangers.

But I am very surprised that three GOOD bikes with good equipment in almost new condition can go absolutely untouched for so long now. Why would you pay $1600 for a fair frame from Specialized with bottom of the heap parts new instead of $1100 for a Redline that is SOOOO nice?

The only new bikes I've ever bought was the Time Elite frame and fork and the Colnago CLX frame and fork and both of these were shop models that had laid around too long.

My 62 cm Pinarello Stelvio is perhaps one of the finest road bikes you could have. While the frame and fork are a lb and a half heavier than most carbon fiber bikes if you were a weight weenie you could get it below the 20 lb. mark on the road. More importantly you can descent anything without a thought that the frame or aluminum wheelset might break. I always wonder about my superlight bikes now.

When you can get a Pinarello with a totally rebuilt 10 speed lever set and perfect shifting why would you get anything with the level below Tiagra which only shifts well for a couple of months?

Perhaps the marketplace will improve their act but I think that it will take too long.

For sale for over two years with only one bite on three bikes means either there's no interest in the type of bike you're selling or your prices are too high.

Cheers