Old November 23rd 14, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default QD wheel spindles.

"John D. Slocomb" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:06:45 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
. ..
"Ian Field" considered Thu, 20 Nov
2014 20:05:04 -0000 the perfect time to write:

Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have QD spindles.

My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the
frame
and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from
pair of old damaged wheels?

Thanks.

Why not just drop the front wheel out when you lock it up, and thread
it on the locking up chain where it will fit, next to the back wheel?

I've seen plenty of bikes locked up that way, without any apparent
problems.

Too lazy - also involves unhooking the front brake cable so the blocks
clear
the tyre.

I get grease on my hands often enough fixing things that go wrong.

Get another locking cable/chain and lock the frame and wheels together
and then the whole package to the lamp post. Cable locks are cheap. Or
a length of chain and another padlock.

Or spray paint the bike with various colors. I had a mate that did
that figuring that no one would steal anything that looked "that bad",
and nobody did but whether that validates his theory I'm not sure :-)

The bike was scrounged on Freecycle a few years ago, I have spent money on
it - but generally as little as I can get away with.

From time to time I get comments while locking it outside the supermarket;
"the chains worth more than the bike isn't it?".

As yet, I have other spare wheels - so I can put off using the QR ones
untill there's no other choice.

A regular wheelnut is a loose fit on the QR axle - a QR cone wont fit the
regular axle.

Since a regular cone will go on the QR axle, I can spin one down the thread
and see whether it fits with the bearing.