Old April 18th 19, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Touchy front brakes

On 4/18/2019 12:01 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 2:33:39 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/17/2019 1:50 PM,
wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 9:34:19 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
So, given that bike share bikes will be used by lots of novices,
should they purposely be given weak front brakes?
--
- Frank Krygowski

I'll argue about this assumption since I have nothing else to do. Do people who do not ride bikes ever, rent these communal bikes and ride them? I find that hard to believe. I can believe that young, fit, athletic people who work out, jog, but don't ride much, do rent these bikes. But I would still suspect they are familiar with bicycling and have ridden some. Bicycling, even these rental bikes, require effort and muscle and strength and sweat. Something a person who does not bicycle already, will NOT do.

The Citi are motorized, with an electric motor & battery.
For regular rental bikes you'd have a stronger argument but
I don't know, haven't seen any local/tourist rental numbers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Pretty positive the rental bikes in downtown Des Moines are regular pedal powered bikes. Not electric. I have not observed who rides them.

We used the bike share in Paris a few years ago, in the pre-electric
days. On one hand, I can confirm that the French people using the bikes
seemed to be much fitter looking than the average American.

But then, almost all the French people were much fitter looking than the
average American.

--
- Frank Krygowski