Old April 25th 19, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Touchy front brakes

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 11:50:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 9:34:19 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
So, given that bike share bikes will be used by lots of novices, should they purposely be given
weak front brakes? -- - Frank Krygowski

I'll argue about this assumption since I have nothing else to do. Do people who do not ride bikes
ever, rent these communal bikes and ride them? I find that hard to believe. I can believe that
young, fit, athletic people who work out, jog, but don't ride much, do rent these bikes. But I
would still suspect they are familiar with bicycling and have ridden some. Bicycling, even these
rental bikes, require effort and muscle and strength and sweat. Something a person who does not
bicycle already, will NOT do.

Around here, at least, we have a couple of bikeshare options (NiceBike, Lime, etc.). The main users I
see appear to be college students- rather than locking up a bike on campus, they just pick one up for
the time they need it. But electric scooters were available for a time last year and were much mroe
popular than bikes (probably for the reasons above). I haven't seen the scooters around lately.