Old March 5th 05, 06:12 AM
Roger Zoul

Gooserider wrote:
"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" wrote in message
(Gooserider) wrote:

snip
3) Our sport is very expensive. a $2000
bicycle is far more expensive than a
basketball and a pair of Nikes.

/snip

Sorryt bout the double post, my finger slipped.

Who needs a $2000 bike ? Maybe if you're seriously into competition,
perhaps considering going pro, maybe, but you don't need to go
overboard for an ordinary club ride. Hell, I've done fine for years,
pulling off single, double, and even triple centuries on a Schwinn
valued at _maybe_ $400-$500.

Hey, I ride a $600 Schwinn, too. But have you been to a bike shop
lately? There is definitely a snob factor evident in cycling. I see
far more affordable hybrids in my LBS than affordable road bikes. The
affordable road bikes are made, but they're not huge sellers. People
tend to get all hopped up on Lance and buy what he rides.

As for the "status factor", I would think that being able to fork out
$2000+ "just for a bicycle" would qualify very nicely.

I am considering ordering a custom Rivendell. It's going to be
$3500-$4000, but it will take two years to build, so I can do it in
installments. When I tell non-cycling friends they're flabbergasted.
There is no status in having an expensive bicycle---except to other
cyclists. If you spend that much on a bike you're considered a
weirdo. :-)

Definitely.