Old March 5th 05, 07:58 AM
Bob

Leo Lichtman wrote:
I don't know the reason, but I do know it is a much broader question

than
just bicycles. I happen to belong to a woodturning club. Guess

what? We
don't have any black members, and only an occasional Asian. I have

been in
the group for several years, and I am as convinced as I could be that

it is
not due to prejudice. Everyone is welcome in the group, and , in

fact, we
have tried to figure out how to achieve more diversity.

Whatever it is, I am convinced that it is a combination of factors,
including some cultural, some historic, some economic, and some

probably
unknown, at least to the lay public. Surely, a question as important

as
this has been studied--does anyone know?

I don't mean to single out Leo as the only offender- he may not be an
offender and even if he is, he's hardly alone- but IMO the unspoken
assumption that diversity is a goal to be "achieved" is silly. It's not
unlike the idea that having a positive self-image is a worthy thing of
itself. Treating all people fairly as individuals and deserving a
positive self-image are what should count, not some artificial and
paternalistic attitude, "We need diversity" or "We have to be sure
Junior feels good about himself".

Regards,
Bob Hunt

For sale or lease: One soapbox, slightly used. g