Old August 8th 04, 07:11 AM
RWM

Default New Road Bike Ideas

"hobby" wrote in message
I have a steel frame custom made Landshark, with a Carbon fork that is
fabulous. I'm 74 and have a bad back too. The steel is more shock
absorbing than was my Carbon Fiber or Aluminum frames. I live in the
mountains and my Landshark is a 'triple' ring Campy group equipped bike.
It has 32 spoke wheels for a big guy over six feet. It has an elevated
stem as well.

I recommend Gary Hobbs at he carries over 300 'brand

name'
frames and can build with either Shimano or Campy groups. And his prices
are affordable, because he is a retired guy who works at his own pace.

He
can build a bike the way you want it or can order you an affordable steel
frame bike that does not weigh a ton; but, will carry your frame. Check

out
his web site
http://gvhbikes.com/

Tom

That is great information. I was thinking that steel or carbon would be the
way to go. I have neevr had a good steel or carbon bike. I owned a few
relatively cheap steel bikes before getting the aluminum bikes that I have
today. What kind of carbon bike do you own?

I had a severe spinal injury in the past, and have a long fusion, so I
ride
with a tall stem and 26 mm tires for a more comfortable ride. I like my
bikes but both have a very similar ride and I am pretty beat up after a
ride
of five or six hours. I love to climb but want to make sure that I

don't
get into the "stupid light" category. In the quality/price trade-off I
am
more on the quality side of the equation. I am looking for suggestions

of
brands & models that you have had good experiences with. If you have

any
ideas, I would love to hear them.