Old January 24th 19, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

Default should have worn a helmet

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 4:02:26 PM UTC-5, Mark J. wrote:
On 1/23/2019 9:42 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 10:08:27 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/01/23/betsy-...ling-accident/

So she broke her hip. And I must say, I wonder about the risk of
breaking bones among the elderly. One of my cycling friends was told
she has enough osteoporosis (or perhaps a precursor condition) to
justify weight training and other measures. You'd never think this
by looking at her or talking to her, but she goes to a gym a few
times per week and lifts heavy things, because it's good for her bones.

- Frank Krygowsk

Relevance for many of us here - ISTR a study showing bone density loss
in endurance cyclists; I think they conjectured something about calcium
depletion due to electrolyte loss. Dunno if it was corroborated later.

Oh, here's a reference:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/w...an-improve-it/

Here's another, more scholarly reference:
https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/4/1/e000449

I have a (male) colleague, 60ish, who has some severe chronic back
problems attributed to osteoporosis. His experience certainly scares
the hell out of me. Definitely not a picnic, and worth efforts to avoid.

Mark J.

It's actually related to the lack of weight-bearing exercise, which stimulates calcium uptake and strengthens bone. Many 'endurance cyclists' do little or no weight bearing or impact exercise. Couple that with the idea that many also don't replenish electrolytes appropriately, and you get a 50 year old in great cardiovascular health that can't touch his toes or stand up straight. There's a ton of info available that correlates weight bearing exercise with calcium uptake.