Old July 2nd 07, 05:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

Default Using a PVR to record the Tour

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:32:35 +1000, byron27 wrote:

I am looking at buying a PVR though am unsure how easy it is to then
plug it into my computer and burn the file to DVD (or even if it is
possible).

The two real options in Oz at the moment are an off the shelf hard disk &
DVD recorder or a build it yourself using Windows Media Center or Linux &&
MythTV. I've had a myth box since last tour and it works a treat, but it's
noticeably a PC next to the TV. That said, a decent case doesn't look that
ugly, and it's a lot more useful than an off the shelf one because I can
add more tuners if I want, but mainly because I tell it to tape Dr Who and
it does all the hard work of figuring out when that's on.

The downside to roll your own ones is there's a fair bit more upfront
work, but that's offset by much less ongoing stuff. They're also better
for watching material that may be entirely legally downloaded that's in a
format that the off the shelf players don't like.

With basic hardware it's not too hard, but there are some gotchas. I know
nussing about Media Centre.

--
Dave Hughes |
Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at