Old December 18th 12, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Relative risk

On Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:02:56 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
New paper out of Britain:

http://road.cc/content/news/71717-go...ans-young-male

The researchers claim the dangers of bicycling have been overstated.

How about that?

- Frank Krygowski

Frank, in the SF Bay Area here those who seem most likely to be killed or injured are not traffic cyclists but semi-racers on week-end type rides or "training" rides since they're so concentrated on beating some other weekend warrior that they make HUGE mistakes such as riding in the opposing lanes around blind turns and other absolute stupidities like that. Another form of cycling deaths I've been finding is that modern bikes and wheels are built so lightly that they are failing and dumping riders on their heads at high rates of speed. When my state-of-the-art carbon fiber fork broke and dumped me on my head I was luckily only doing 5 mph or so and yet it took two years to find the proper medication and another year for me to return mostly to normal.

In the last year as I've been returning to cycling several people in the area have been killed in just such manners. Apparently most have failures of things like these crazy 12 spoke wheels and the like. Going down a hill at 45 mph and having a wheel folding up would not be my idea of fun and so I use steel frames and forks and standard 32 spoke wheels.

Another thing is that we cannot get any good information on the cause and effect of these increasing numbers of bicycle accidents. Here in the bay area and especially on the San Francisco peninsula the increasing numbers of riders since I was injured is staggering. I rode an organized Century and there were many times that number in "training groups" on the same roads. We certainly need better information to reduce injuries but can't get it.