Old August 21st 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Converting Brake mounting bolt to recessed bolt?

On Aug 21, 4:15*pm, "
wrote:

On 2009-08-21, AMuzi wrote:

*someone wrote:
Cutting two lengths of tube is much easier than cutting and threading
an already hardened chromoly mounting bolt btw.

_ wrote:
I'd be interested in the source for this claim that Shimano N600 brake
bolts are
a) "chromoly"; and
b) hardened
of course, if it's of the nature of "my 'experience' says so, and I'm dead
clever, I am", that will get the weight it deserves.

I doubt they are CrMo and they are certainly not hardened
(having threaded them).

A related question: if a bolt is CrMo presumably that implies it's not
stainless and will therefore rust?

Depends on whether the bolt is plated. *I have lots of bolts on my
bike that are definitely not stainless yet are not rusted. *Rear
derailleur bolt, downtube boss bolts, seatbinder bolt, water bottle
cage bolts, chainring bolts, brake bolts, pedal axles. *All are steel
and plated somehow and are not rusted.- Hide quoted text -

Not sure the bolts are chrome plated or zinc plated.