Old September 25th 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default How does I fix these cranks?

On 25/09/12 08:41, Doug Cimperman wrote:
Today I see the drive-side crank here is loose on the spindle. The
non-drive side moves a much smaller bit, that appears to be the bearing
play (it could probably use new bearings anyway).

I never much got into bicycle mechanics really, so what [special] tools
would I need to get this thing apart, and what kind of crank is it
exactly? (to get a replacement, if it can't just be tightened up,,,) \

The spindle is a tube that runs almost all the way through from the
drive side, to the non-drive side....

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...s/loose01.html

Looks similar to this?

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-gxp-bb

A quick google search yields..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1wcwlmsRc

Probably easier to view that than explain in words. You only need the
special BB tool and ratchet driver or adjustable spanner, and an 8 mm
hex key.

If the bearings are stuffed, you might need something to help removal
and replacement. I didn't see if they are just pressed into the cups or
on the axle. Be a little careful with the cups as they are likely Al
and may be damaged if you need to knock the bearing out with a hammer punch.

If there are torque recommendations, try to work to them. If you don't
have a torque wrench, estimate kilograms or pounds of force on the end
of a spanner to achieve close to the correct torque. I.e. 90 Nm is
approx 9 kg over 1 meter, or 18 kg over 500 mm, or 36 kg over 250 mm.

--
JS.