Old March 15th 05, 04:18 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:56:07 -0600, chrisfreeman wrote:

Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike versus
purchasing a complete bike at the LBS? I've started saving up for a new
bike but thought about the prospect of slowly building a bike up over a
time period. While I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor to piece
together a bike, I don't know if it would save any money or if it might
actually be more expensive.

If you can find a built-up bike that has the parts you want on it (or if
the components don't matter too much to you), then it is cheaper than
building one yourself. For me, though, with at least a full bike's worth
of parts always sitting around in boxes in the basement, I can save by
just getting a few parts.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos