Old June 30th 08, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PK[_2_]

Default "UK minister backs call for more traffic police to protect cyclists"

"POHB" wrote in message
On 30 Jun, 15:45, wrote:
Personally I think this is great news. While undoubtedly there are a
significant number of law-breaking cyclists, I think the large
majority (at least in the places I cycle) are more sinned against than
sinning.

Is it just me noticing it or has the number of drivers talking on
their hand-held mobiles crept back up again? It seemed to stop for a
while when it was made an offence but there seems to be loads again
now.

No, its not just you. I notice it very frequently in SW London - phone in
one hand other hand on gear lever in a regular sight!

...... and it's not just drivers, twice in a 15 minute car journey this am in
Wimbledon, I had to modify my driving to take account of cyclists meandering
along oblivious to the traffic around them while they chatted on the phone.

Last week I came across an all time classic:

No hands, in the middle of the traffic lane - the wrong one! - talking on
his mobile heading straight for me. I stopped (traffic coming the other way
prevented me pulling out to pass him) , he steered no hands onto the
pavement via a dropped pavement and carried on cycling and chatting along
the pavement. And, no he did not even nod in acknowledgment as he passed by.

pk