Old November 20th 18, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 11:39:15 PM UTC, Ralph Barone wrote:
I've always wanted a second smaller bar mounted in
front of my regular bar for lights, GPS and whatever other **** I needed
right in front of me. Sheldon's quill into a threadless stem idea was
nifty, but being able to bolt a second stem at the end of the first would
be even better.

My steering setup is quill into threadless stem. (Newbies should take care to understand how each of the two systems work before they attempt this trick, or have the LBS fit the components. A steering failure from incompetent assembly could result in a nasty face plant or worse.) First you have to clamp down the steerer tube, which you would normally do with the stem on the more normal setup. I use a seat tube clamp. Then you fit the quill inside the steerer tube, stack spacers and fit the stem at its new height. My purpose was simply to raise the handlebars substantially.

However you can also use the quill to get new height on the steering tube to fit a tool bar above the handlebar stem, by using the handlebar stem as clamp and attaching the toolbar above on the height of the quill, with spacers underneath as required.

Andre Jute
Sets and combinations