Old October 11th 18, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-09 22:35, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 22:02:14 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I've tried rain pants only once, IIRC. IMO there can't possibly be
enough ventilation. But I admit, I know no really comfortable way of
riding in the rain.

Ride fast enough and dodge the rain drops :-)

Use 1: a cape, 2: mudguards and 3: sandals. (Wool soxes/socks if it is
cold). Caveat, I made the cape myself.

Plenty of ventilation.

I've tried the gamit from plastic, coated to fancy breathable gear, but
the above was the best set up. YMMV.

I second that.

Sans the mud guard but the splatter onto my back is muffled by racks and
panniers on both bikes.

You can always find something to weave into the top of the rack to stop/
reduce that.

Hail is a real pain though. Every time I got into that I had forgotten a
plastic bag to strap over the helmet.

Shower caps are good for that. Either pick one up from Walmart or similar
or the free ones from motel/hotel. Just pack it in a side pocket on the
handlbar bag or pocket in a pannier. Or place inside the loo roll, which
is in a plastic bag anyway.

So the hail pebbles piled up in
its vent holes, almost giving me a brain freeze.

Never had that happen. Long cold descents has to be the closest as we
have very few very cold places in Australia. Thankfully. I do have a
thin knitted beanie that fits under the cold weatrher helmet(MSR*) to
stop brain freeze on really cold times.

*MSR (rock) climbing helmets were the first 'bicycle" helmet to meet the
then new Australian bicycle helmet regulations. Second was a local
canoeing helmet, and the next changes allowed the Bell white mushroom to
meet the regs. Fourth was an Australian copy in yellow of the Bell.

The MSR was odd in that the padding was two layers of "rubber" which
eventually solidified and had all the comfort of a concrete helmet and
lead to its retirement.