Old March 11th 17, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Shoe Overlap

On 3/11/2017 3:26 PM, wrote:
On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 4:36:16 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:34:32 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 3/10/2017 2:23 PM, Duane wrote:
On 10/03/2017 1:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/10/2017 11:14 AM,
wrote:
A friend of mine just had a custom bike built and
although it fits
great there is a 2 cm shoe overlap of the front wheel.
The danger of
this is making a hard turn and trying to straighten out
with your foot
then in the way. Criterium racers in particular could do
this because
they only stop pedalling at the absolute apex and then
start again
with the front wheel still turned.

Anyone else had any experience with this? I remember high
siding
because of this. Luckily not in a race to be run over by
a hundred
riders.

A known issue but I am very much surprised that his
builder didn't
discuss that with the client before starting any
metalwork. Usually, the
drawing is reviewed in depth, and revised through several
iterations,
before the build.

That's not unusual with a compact frame is it? My Tarmac is
like that. I found out doing a track stand in traffic and
got my toe stuck between the wheel and frame. ouch.

Though I've never had issues when actually moving as my
wheel doesn't turn that much then.

Right, and Frank touched on that as well.

My concern is that for a custom designed frame, the builder
ought to have discussed this at some point with the rider
before the build. It's not 'wrong', but some riders really
hate it and will accept a longer top tube rather than
overlap if given the choice.

At any rate a custom frame shouldn't have surprises.

One can only speculate why one would buy a custom frame if it didn't
fit, exactly, one's requirements. One can only assume that the O.P.'s
friend didn't know exactly what he wanted.
--

John, When you're getting a custom made bike from a foreign country you're assuming that they know what they're doing since you have to rely on their reputation a great deal.

When after the frame and fork is delivered you STILL don't know much about it until it is completely assembled and you are able to test it out.

So how do you NOT buy a pig in a poke? Just three degrees more rake and there wouldn't have been any problem.

Buyer didn't review the drawing ?

small point = head angle is in degrees, fork rake is in mm
and neither can be changed without other changes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/