Old March 21st 17, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Cycling in Anaheim

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:57:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 5:45:22 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 2:50:12 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 6:42:02 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2017/03/19/man-suspe...to-seal-beach/

Report does not note lumen rating of blinky light, if any.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old and slow and in the way. That's all it takes around LA.

My ride yesterday was 38 miles and 1800 feet of climbing up to 12%. I went out a road that terrifies most riders. It doesn't bother me because although there are fast speeds and trees blocking the view the site lines are long enough that drivers can see you from a reasonably long way away.

The shoulder was unusable because of the mudslides leaving gravel covering them. But the traffic was extremely polite to me being in the right of the traffic lane except for one horse's ass. And a couple of people that desperately need driving lessons. When you are going to turn left across a divided road there is no need to pull all the way to the right across the bike lane and into the right side parking lane to turn left. And there's equally no need to wait for a bicycle to cross before exiting a driveway when the bicycle is the only traffic and it's more than a block away.

My ride yesterday was 50 miles and 5K of climbing -- red-lining the whole way in a group of old-dude racers, but less old than me. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Mostly short climbs -- nothing more than two or three miles. No mishaps or near misses, although we kept getting stuck behind cars on the down-hills -- and the roads are a wreck after the snowstorms. Only sunny day (although cold) we've had in months -- and we're back to rain today.

All you have to do is to continue riding at or near max heart rate. We just have another member that has had to have a pacemaker installed. So I appear to be the only one of the group that hasn't had some health incident related to overdoing it. Could it be because I don't ride above my capacity just because some other fool thinks it's OK? That when I get to the top of the climb that the group has had to rest to bring their heart rates down to below max and I don't?

Unlikely that the periodic hard ride or a race is going to kill me -- now or later, but if it does, all I can hope is that I got to the top of the hill not last.

"Athlete's heart" usually results from years of the kind of training that is incompatible with having a full time job, family and yard. http://www.velonews.com/cycling-to-e...durance-sports

-- Jay Beattie.