Old February 23rd 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default need hill climbing advice

Thanks Joe,

I tend to use shorter cranks than most people (I have short legs
though). On a Coker, most of my general riding would be on 110mm or
114mm cranks. That works well where I live, which is quite hilly.

On more sustained hilly terrain like on the Alps Unitour
(www.aut.unitours.org), I found 125mm cranks better. I recall quite a
few 10-20% gradients that kept on going and going!

On not so steep stuff the trick is to keep your cadence high and just
let the momentum carry you up.

For climbing really steep stuff (say 15% or more) the trick is to stay
relaxed and 'float' your way to the top. You'll waste energy if your
upper body is tense, or if both your legs and arms/head/upper body are
tense. Only the leg that's pushing down should be tense, and it should
relax as soon as it goes into the upstroke. You can get up just about
anything by 'floating' your way to the top. Also alternating from
sitting and standing position helps you keep the lactic acid from
building up.

On this years SINZ tour (www.sinzuni.org); on my first attempt riding
up Baldwin St (the worlds steepest street) I was so tense that I fell
off a meter from the top. My legs had turned to jelly from the lactate
build up- it was like doing the 100m sprint for 400m. On my second
attempt, I kept relaxed and just 'floated' my way up. Easy peasy if
you stay relaxed and don't go anaerobic .

Ken Looi

p/s
Here's Tony floating up Baldwin St:

|Filename: Baldwin St gradient.jpg |

GizmoDuck

'The SINZ Unitour 2007' (http://www.sinzuni.org)...No Salvation
Required
'The Laos Unicycle Tour 2006' (http://www.laosunitour.org)....An
Adventure of Epic Proportions
The Monguni Tour 2008....catchy slogan pending
The Unifice 2009....Fire & Ice, One-Wheel Sacrifice
The SISININZ Unitour 2010....How to get a sore butt