Old January 19th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default there's hope

Mr. Robert Hunt wrote:
On Jan 16, 9:36 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Bob Hunt wrote:

Hey, you've finally stated a position positively without weaselling!
Congratulations. It's a shame that your definition of fascism isn't
the widely accepted definition ("any movement, ideology, or attitude
that favors dictatorial government, centralized control of private
enterprise, repression of all opposition, and extreme nationalism" or
"a political system based on a very powerful leader, state control and
extreme pride in country and race, and in which political opposition
is not allowed") or you might even have a point. The last I looked
there were no death squads roaming the streets. Based on your
definition, you seem to be alleging that we're living in an oligarchy,
not a fascist state. I disagree but I'll give you credit for at least
stating a position even if you did define your terms (fascism vs
oligarchy, "can" and "could" vs *do*) incorrectly.

That is the cleverness of the current system. Maintain the appearance of
a democracy, which fools enough of the people that the brutal
repression is not necessary. Since violent repression breeds resistance,
they US system is more beneficial to the ruling class, as it means they
are more likely to stay in power.

The token opposition of a few members of Congress helps the illusion of
democracy; but the numbers of such true representatives of the people
are kept too small to have any real influence.

The only real danger to the system would be if enough people figured
things out to vote real representatives from third parties into office;
but the population is kept ignorant and stupefied with entertainment
posing as news, sitcoms and "reality" televisions shows.

Q- What does the "cleverness of the system" have to do with you not
knowing the difference between fascism and an oligarchy?
A- None.
Conclusion- You're just a gasbag that likes to avoid direct answers
while pretending to think deep political thoughts. In reality your
critiques of political affairs are on the same level as the, "Two legs
good. Four legs bad", slogan from "Animal Farm". The pig was one up on
you though because unlike your pretentious posts barbecued pork
doesn't leave a bad aftertaste.

Mr. Hunt misses the de facto merger of government and corporations that
is essential to fascism, but not oligarchy.

Mr. Hunt then resorts to insults, since he has nothing better to contribute.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth