Old April 25th 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Homeless in Seattle

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 5:06:22 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/24/2019 6:10 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 11:03:27 AM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
writes:

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 4:15:05 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 13:49:40 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 12:33:02 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 12:01:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 9:48:53 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Some posters here have gone on and on about homeless people, and
specifically homeless people in Seattle.

Here are interesting details about one of them:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ss-in-seattle/

--
- Frank Krygowski

This is pretty much the same in every single state controlled
by Democrats. It is a sickness that cannot be cured.

So the staggering number of homeless in Texas can be cured? Why
is homelessness so low in Bernie Sanders' home state of Vermont?
https://www.usich.gov/tools-for-action/map/#fn[]=1400&fn[]=2900&fn[]=6000&fn[]=9900&fn[]=13500

-- Jay Beattie.

Come on Jay, Vermont has a relatively tiny population and it is a
state that makes Washington state look like Hawaii. And yet
Vermont has about half the RATE of homelessness as
Washington. Oregon with a little better weather conditions than
Washington has a little worse homeless rate.

You can check out the weather in those areas - while Vermont has
bad weather in the winter, relatively New Hampshire has a long sea
coast heated by the Gulf Stream and the slightly better weather
translates into more homeless.

Err... New Hampshire's "long seacoast" is 18 miles long :-)
The average daily highs in that area are (average December, January
and February) 35 degrees (F) and nightly lows are 12 degrees (F).

It is strange, growing up in New Hampshire there just didn't seem to
have been any "homeless". There were "Hobo's", who were homeless, but
they migrated to more hospitable climes during the winters.
--

Cheers,

John B.

I misread that large number of homeless from Massachusetts to New
Hampshire. The homeless ratio is actually very low. Mass. is pretty
surprising so I guess they have some large cities in which they can
seek shelter from the conditions.

I have seen homeless dudes sleeping on the sidewalks of Boston when it
was well below 0F. Sometimes they freeze and die. I know of a few
homeless encampments near me (much more suburban than Boston), and more
that have been broken up. I don't see any of them camping in the woods
during the winter; I'm not sure where they go.

But it is NOTHING like the west coast. San Francisco is the Homeless
city by the bay and LA is incredible. When you can drive for 3 miles
on main streets with each side of the street lined with homeless tent
shelters it makes you want to cry. The real basis for all of this is
illegal immigration.

I have known a fair number of both homeless people and illegal
immigrants. I have never known a homeless illegal immigrant. Being
visibly homeless exposes a person to much more police interaction than any
illegal immigrant would want.

Maybe that's just my idiosyncratic experience.

I think you misunderstand me. Many of these homeless people would be upper-lower class workers and housing prices have been driven so high from population growing much faster than housing, that the price of housing is completely out of reach.

Illegals are far more likely to live several families to a small home. Now a LOT of the illegals are highly skilled manual labor people that are valuable to this country. But are they more valuable than Americans?

I'll repeat an experience I had. I went to put a package in the mail, I got there 5 minutes before the Post Office opened. I was looking around waiting and all of the local signs were in Spanish. There was what appeared to be a homeless person with a shopping cart full of all of her possessions. I had a couple of 5's in my pocket so I went over to give them to her.

She was absolutely crying her heart out. She had just been evicted from her one room apartment so that the illegal owner could put an illegal family in there. To her she had no place to go and nowhere to turn. I was so heartbroken for her I cannot describe it. Jay chimed in the first time that "she has plenty of HHS to turn to." Tell that to a 70 year old obese black woman who has just been kicked out so that the owner could make more money.

I happen to feel people's pain because I was nearly in that position while we were young and before the RR was unionized. Five people living in a 600 sq ft house with coal fireplace for heating and coal stove for cooking. The coal was liberated from the hopper cars on the railroad.

Yesterday my wife had a program on TV called "Tiny House" and it was 600 sq feet for one man and his two boys weekending.

Tom you're not much older than I.
You do not remember railroads before unions.

As far as I can remember the SP was unionized in the Early 50's. Though it might have been the late 40's.