Old November 29th 07, 06:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Default Shimano 550 wheel, is it cassette, or freewheel?

wrote:
I currently have Shimano 550 wheel, is it cassette, or freewheel?
I want to buy some new speed wheels, but am woundering if i do, will i
be able to just swap my cassette over, how do i know what my cassette
will be compatible with?
It is a Giant OCR1 last year model, with 105 10 speed cassette.

You have a cassette (ie not a freewheel). The terminology is a
bit confusing. "10-speed" rear hubs come in two varieties:
"screw-on" (threaded) or "free-hub". For the former, the
ratchet mechanism is built into the rear cogs (ie part of the
rear cluster). For the latter, the ratchet mechanism is in the
hub. From memory, I don't think there is any freewheel cluster
with more than 8 cogs on it.

Only thing to look out for when buying wheels is that for Shimano
freehubs, there are some compatibility issues with 9sp, 10sp
etc. If I were you, I'd get another 10sp cassette for your new
wheels then you have a spare set of wheels.

Note that you need a special tool to remove cassettes (actually
you remove the locking ring) plus a chain whip. You don't need
the chain whip to install a cassette.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.