Old February 1st 11, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

Default Electric bikes.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:01:21 +0000 (UTC), Wes Newell
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:36:57 -0500, dgk wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 01:41:43 -0700, Daryl Hunt
wrote:

http://i70west.com/cart/index.php?

main_page=product_info&cPath=65_69&products_id=24 3

60 lbs shipping weight! Yikes. 600 watts is a lot for a bike kit and
will never be street legal - those tend to be 20 mph max. Also, it's
front wheel so don't mount anything like this on an aluminum fork.

Legal depends on where you live. It's 20mph here, but in FL you can do up
to 60MPH if licensed (and nuts). 20 if not. I just ordered a 48v 500w
rear wheel system to try. It's rated at 21.7mph. With my 270lbs, I just
hope it will do close to 20. I just bought it to tinker so got the
cheapest I could find ($227.90 shipped, w/o batteries) that had decent
reviews. I've got 4 older 7-9 ah ups batteries I'll start with. With some
pedaling, hope to get 5 miles out of it.

Yes, I meant legal without having to license/insure.

Do you know how to hook up the batteries? I guess just in series no?
I've read all kinds of stuff about controllers being capable of
handling the voltage (amperage?) but don't know enough to be more than
dangerous.

My main issue with heavy batteries is that there is just no way that
it can be ridden as a normal bike. I would like to get another ebike
so my significant other can come on rides with me but that won't be
anywhere near as costly as my Trek. I use it every day. The SO will
use it pretty rarely.