Old February 22nd 18, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Inexpensive LUX meter from China to measure your bike lamp's output

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 6:16:19 AM UTC, Frank Leake wrote:
On 22/02/18 01:52, Andre Jute wrote:

snip

In any event, by subjective measurement a la Roger's post, I judge I already have what on balance I consider BUMM's best lamp, the first series Cyo R (I also have reflectorless version but it isn't as good in lanes as the R, and I have the Fly-E with supposedly the same optics but with a very nasty hotspot), so I'm not even in the market for new lamps.

Three of those dies before I gave up on them, all inside 18 months each.

You want to be careful what you say here, Frank. The slightest suspicion that you think every BUMM lamp, including the ancient lethal glimmerers, were not Immaculately Conceived by the Great Engineer, and the BUMMbuddies will hound you for months foryourheresy.

Neither of my Cyo have failed. But then I don't mount them upside down, so the rain can get in, or mount them at hub level, or ride fast enough through deep puddles to splash up water into the innards through the wire entry. That lack of waterproofing is just one of the inadequate things about BUMM lamps you're not supposed to mention in polite circles...

Do you go out in the rain much?

I live in Ireland, so you'd expect the answer to be "yes". In fact, I rarely ride through more than light showers, in part because the weather forecasts are now so good, it's no problem to pick a clear hour or two for short rides. The truth is that in the last few years I've become more concerned with whether my cycling jackets are windproof than whether they're stormproof..

Andre Jute
Bring back global warming!