Old May 20th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Default relatively amusing craig's list ad

Tom Keats wrote:
Dane Buson writes:

Oooeeer, shiny. I don't suppose you've obtained a camera with which to
take pictures of said shiny things?

I'm afraid I haven't yet had such an opportunity,
but if you Google on "Sekine bicycle" and throw in
the secondary keyword: "rhinestone," I'm sure you'll
get some worthwhile hits & pix.

I found one or two, okay one really. It looks nifty.

IIRC Sekine was so popular in western Canada,
they set-up shop somewhere in Manitoba.

Sekine was a very progressive mfg, sending-out
all kinds of experimental stuff into the market.
E.g: my mixte originally came with Shimano's
'70s Front Freewheel System (FFS) which allows
a rider to shift gears while stationarily leaning
against a pole or something, and back-pedalling.

That sounds a bit terrible. It sounds like a solution in search of
problem really.

It also comes with allen-wrench-removable (One
Key Release[tm]) cranks. The fancily knurled &
chromed, round headset nuts require a 3 pinwrench.
The frame is beautifully lugged, and painted in
luscious raven black.

I can only describe the beauty of Sekines to
people who've never seen nor experienced them.
It kinda makes me feel alone.

Of course, later models were decadent.
As with any human creativeness, there's
a formative age, a classic/golden age,
and a decadent age.

Decadent is better I think when it refers to Chocolate, plush
bedding, or bed partners than bicycles. Hmm, actually all three of the
first together sounds especially good to me.

I suspect Sekine kept old SunTour in business
for quite a while after SunTour might have
been faded out. Some of that SunTour crap
was actually pretty good crap. And still is.

Hey, the front derailleur on my Sunny Day bike is Suntour and it seems
to be shifting just fine. So I'll not complain about it. And the
suntour barcons on my Tandem seem to work fine.

--
Dane Buson -
Any member introducing a dog into the Society's premises shall be