Old July 7th 03, 05:56 PM
bfd

Default Best Bike for $4k?

lothes (B) wrote in message ...
I fully agree on carbon - I have been on steel and ti, and nothing
compares.

You know, I believe that I would like carbon. But - if I were buying a
secondhand frame, carbon would probably not be a choice. I would not have a
problem with a steel of ti.
Think about it. Would you buy a 4 year old carbon frame? I would worry more
about the aging of a carbon frame, plus the technology is still in process.

Alternatively, I've bought a USED Carbonframes and love it. My
Carbonframes Tetra Custom (now Calfee) was a 1994 model, I bought it
in 1997 with about 2,000 miles on it (or at least that's what the
previous owner told me). I average about 2000-2500 miles per year. I
have had a few things come "unglued" (right rear dropout, ti shifter
boss band). Those things were easily repaired by Calfee at little or
no cost. Further, I've crashed on the bike about 1/2 dozen times,
including a couple that caused personal injury, and NO problem with
the carbon. At least in my case, I've found that any fears about the
"aging of a carbon frame" are unwarrantied, IF the mfr is willing to
stand behind his product like Calfee does. As for "technology still in
process", that is true. Today's Calfee Tetra frames incorporate
several changes so buying a used Calfee shouldn't be a problem at
all....