Old December 16th 04, 02:53 AM
Theo Bekkers

Default Bicycle sales leave motors in the dust

Tamyka Bell wrote:

I wonder how severely the interpretation of purchase stats are warped
by people like me who bought three bikes in one financial year...

I bought 5 cars in the last year. Company cars. They count. No company
bicycles bought during this period, but one of our empoyees started riding
to work this week (because the judge told him not to drive his car).

These stats are not very surprising and nothing to get excited about. It
does not represent some sudden bicycle awareness or ecological tsunami. In
the USA bicycles outsold cars every year from 1900 to 1970 (last year I
heard the figures). That doesn't mean there are more bikes than cars on the
roads.

Theo