Old February 21st 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Ouch. This happened to me once

On 2018-02-20 10:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 10:54:03 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:

Do you really believe everything should be done by a nanny state or
some
"organization"?

Not _everything_. But should "organizations" teach proper use of the
road? YES!

We have "organizations" called schools that teach things like the rules
of Dodge Ball. Why should they not teach people the rules of cycling
in traffic?

There is only so much time a school has and especially leftist states
fill that with so much mandatory junk that we should rather
concentrate on math, reading and stuff. Our kids already trail much of
the developed world there.

But what - we should not bother to teach them about operating vehicles
properly in traffic?

As I said, for cycling parents can do that. Not the nanny state. For
cars eitehr the parents can do it or the student (or parenst) need to
pay a driving instructor, not paid by the nanny state.

And more important, there is only so much money a government can spend
on transportation facilities. Why should we waste over a million dollars
per mile for a linear park whose clientele will almost entirely drive to
its parking lot, ride back and forth a few miles, then drive home? It
makes no sense.

To you it may not. To the vast majority of cyclists it does. Come here
and ask them.

We have "organizations" called driver testing bureaus that pass out
instruction
manuals and give driving tests, both written and on-road. Why should
they not
instruct future motorists about how to act around bicycists?

Nobody reads that stuff anyhow. Mom and dad need to do that, or
driving school teachers if the family uses that avenue.

Your argument makes no sense. You've often given evidence that those now
using the road are not sufficiently competent. (You've given some of
that evidence by describing your own edge riding behavior!) Now you say
those same people should teach their kids? Joerg, that's not making sense.

Can you try to think a bit harder and more logically? A parent teaching
a kid will be fully concentrated on the task at hand. When that same
parent is on the way to work, daily grind, same old same old, he or she
will become ever more complacent, glance over who just might have texted
them ... OH DANG ... a cyclist ... I didn't see him!

[...]

You want YOUR nanny state to build segregated bike facilities all
over the
place. I think education would be far more cost effective, especially
because
truly competent cyclists rarely need your fancy lanes and trails.

Because neither mom, dad not I can build those. I'd get arrested if I
show up on a bulldozer and do it myself.

You want to spend other people's money on your expensive fantasies,
while ignoring much less costly improvements.

_My_ tax Dollars, _not_ other people's money.

You're not making sense.

Well, obviously you don't get it or don't want to so I'll end it here.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/