Old February 21st 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Ouch. This happened to me once

On 2018-02-20 10:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 10:54:03 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:

Do you really believe everything should be done by a nanny state or
some
"organization"?

Not _everything_. But should "organizations" teach proper use of the
road? YES!

We have "organizations" called schools that teach things like the rules
of Dodge Ball. Why should they not teach people the rules of cycling
in traffic?

There is only so much time a school has and especially leftist states
fill that with so much mandatory junk that we should rather
concentrate on math, reading and stuff. Our kids already trail much of
the developed world there.

But what - we should not bother to teach them about operating vehicles
properly in traffic?

As I said, for cycling parents can do that. Not the nanny state. For
cars eitehr the parents can do it or the student (or parenst) need to
pay a driving instructor, not paid by the nanny state.

I understand that you're not from this country, so FYI, US schools have traditionally offered driver's education, sometimes as a free class along with health education (my generation in California) and then as a privately provided class, paid for by the student -- current practice in Oregon. Driver training is not required, but it makes it easier to get a regular license. It's also a good idea, and it lowers accident and insurance rates for young drivers.

Professional instructors know more than parents, sorry to say. Most parents know how to drive, but don't know the vehicle code except for what they read on signs. Many parents have no idea of the laws applicable to bicycles.. Many parents are poor drivers themselves, talk on cellphones and are the people about whom you constantly complain and fear.

BTW, the "nanny state" is building all the roads and facilities you use. It is providing you with water, fire and police protection -- even in your CSD. You have a hard-on for the nanny state and yet you live in a development where you you have to select a house paint color from an approved pallet.. http://www.cameronpark.org/ccrs/ccrs...-9785b252-af54 It's self-imposed super-nanny wet-nurse state.

-- Jay Beattie.